- Musculoskeletal Imaging
- Neurosurgical and urological imaging
- Treatment of sports and tendon injuries
- Diagnosis and treatment of back and chronic pain
- Sports Medicine
Dr George Koulouris
Sports & Musculoskeletal Radiologist
George Koulouris completed his radiology training at The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne in 2004, having completed a combined general MRI and interventional fellowship. He then worked at Victoria House Medical Imaging and also undertook further training in musculoskeletal imaging at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, USA under the supervision of Professor William Morrison. Here, George assisted in the provision of medical services to all the major sporting associations, including the Philadelphia Eagles, The Phillies baseball team, Philadelphia Flyers (ice hockey) and the Philadelphia 76ers. George has since worked in public and private practice, gaining experience working at several centres and in the different subspecialty fields of radiology.
Throughout his career, George has maintained a determined focus on research, publishing in excess of 30 articles in peer review journals and textbook chapters. He also acted as a consultant for the world’s largest medical publisher, Elsevier, where he helped deliver an interactive web based programme devoted to musculoskeletal imaging in order to help trainees and other radiologists improve their understanding of this field. He gained his medical degrees from the University of Melbourne in 1996 and then completed his internship and basic surgical training at Austin Health (formerly Austin & Repatriation Medical Centre).
George is a musculoskeletal and MRI radiologist and therefore his main interests includes the diagnosis and treatment of orthopaedic and rheumatological disorders as well as sporting and work injuries. In particular, muscle injuries, such as hamstring, calf and groin strains are areas of sub-specialisation, as well as tendon injuries, back, neck and sciatic pain. Other areas of interest include neurological, neurosurgical and urological radiology.
In 2018, George received a grant to travel to and participate in the Radiology Across Borders (RAB) / AMSIG Inaugural Outreach Programme, Hanoi, Vietnam. He also travelled to Yangon, Myanmar in October 2018 as one of the selected radiologists to deliver radiology lectures and case studies as part of the International Skeletal Society (ISS) Regional Outreach Programme (ROP).
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (Melb) 1996
- Fellow Royal Australasian & New Zealand College of Radiologists 2005
- Masters of Medicine (Radiology) (Melb.) 2006
- Graduate Certificate of Sports Medicine (UNSW) 2008
- Immediate Past President 2016 & 2017
- President 2014 & 2015
- Vice President 2012 & 2013
- Fellow - Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists (RANZCR)
- Senior Lecturer – University of Western Australia (UWA)
- Australian Medical Association (AMA)
- Royal College of Radiologists (RCR), UK
- Society of Skeletal Radiology (SSR)
- Australian Football League Medical Officers Association (AFLMOA)
- Sports Doctors Australia
- Sports Medicine Australia (SMA)
- International Spinal Intervention Society (ISIS)
- Australian Association of Musculoskeletal Medicine
- International Skeletal Society (ISS)
- European Society of Radiology (ESR)
- Federation Internationale de Medecine du Sport (FIMS)