- Pain management radiology – creating a new approach to radiology, with a greater focus on patient examination, history and managing the patients main concerns in combination with the imaging findings. Recording response to treatment from local anaesthetic to help guide surgical intervention if required. Patients are provided with realistic expectation of what is required to improve their symptoms. The imaging and interventions are just one part of their road to recovery.
- General MRI, with a specialised interest in musculoskeletal radiology
- MSK and Sports imaging
- Radiological assisted non-operative treatment methods and minimally invasive therapies.
Dr Dean Federman
Diagnostic & Interventional Musculoskeletal Radiologist
Dr Dean Federman gained his medical degree at Monash University in 1999. He completed his internship at Southern Health in Melbourne, before completing two years of general medicine/physician training. Dean then completed a year of emergency and intensive care training and successfully completed his first part examination in Emergency Medicine. It was during this year of training that he discovered his passion for radiology and subsequently was offered and completed radiology training at the Alfred Hospital. Melbourne in 2008, before fellowship training in MRI and body imaging. After commencing practicing in private radiology in 2010, Dean became head of the MRI services at MDI Radiology, opening their first MRI before expanding the MRI service to their other clinics.
For over ten years, Dean was the chief radiologist at Capital Radiology Monash House Clayton, offering a fully comprehensive radiology service with a special interest in MRI, Musculoskeletal (MSK) radiology, spinal imaging and radiological intervention. Dean works closely with many sports physicians, pain management doctors and surgeons, and has been a regular guest speaker at medical and allied health sports and spinal meetings. He has a strong interest in education and has been the supervising radiologist for MRI and musculoskeletal fellowship training of junior radiologists at Monash House. He was a member of the Capital medical advisory committee and has previously overseen the companies MRI services and was head of education.
Dean has been involved in several research projects, publications, presented at meetings and has provided regular educational sessions to doctors and allied health on MRI and MSK radiology.
He is currently working at Melbourne Radiology Clinic, focusing on his passion for musculoskeletal radiology, pain management , MRI, with ongoing involvement in radiology education and supervision of fellowship training. Dean takes a very hands on approach to pain management radiology, aiming for optimal patient outcomes.
Dean is focused on health and personal development. He is committed to daily exercise, including gym, running and tennis. He loves spending time with his adorable family, traveling and hiking. Dean loves all sports, in particular AFL and his beloved Collingwood Football club.
- Emergency medicine training, passed first part examination (2004)
- Fellow Royal Australasian and New Zealand College of Radiologists (2010)
- Australasian Musculoskeletal Imaging Group (AMSIG)MEMBER, 2016 – current
- Fellow – Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists (RANZCR)
- Society of Skeletal Radiology (SSR)
- Southern Health, Melbourne, Vic
- Redcliffe Hospital, Melbourne, VIC
- MDI Radiology, Melbourne Vic
- Capital Radiology, Melbourne Vic